Position Location: Durham, NC (potential remote employment)
About The Social Institute
The Social Institute (TSI) is the leader in understanding student experiences and creator of #WinAtSocial, a gamified, online learning platform that equips students, educators, and families to navigate social experiences — online and offline — in healthy ways. Our unique, student-respected approach incorporates topics like social media, technology use, and current events that have a significant impact on student well-being. Lessons teach life skills for the modern day to inspire high-character decisions that support the health, happiness, and future success of students, while capturing data that provides insights to school leaders to inform school policy and communications, and enable high-impact teaching and a healthy learning environment. For schools, our turnkey technology allows for easy implementation and a comprehensive game plan to support the well-being of school communities.
We’re looking for a frontend engineer who wants to help build game-changing software applications supporting students and families nationwide. You’ll have a key role in creating the customer-facing visual features and products that support student well-being – understanding user experience and functionality in detail so that we can maximize value for our customers. In this role, you will work closely with the Product Manager, CDO, CEO, and other engineers to bring projects from conception to launch.
- Develop new and enhance existing application features.
- Participate in designing and scoping forward-looking solutions to evolving business requirements with the team.
- Identify opportunities for improving our platform and the development practices we follow to create it.
- Troubleshoot issues, identify root causes, and proactively recommend actions to mitigate them.
- Provide thoughtful review of your peers’ work and be receptive to their review of your work.
- Create or update documentation in support of development efforts, which may include detailed specifications, implementation guides, architecture diagrams or design documents.
- Work closely with Co-founder/CDO to design and launch new features.
- Create servers and databases for functionality.
- 2+ years of professional web development experience
- Excellent knowledge of software and application design and architecture
- Knowledge of web application architecture and design patterns
- Self-directed and can effectively deliver solutions with little oversight
- Preferred experience with TypeScript and the MERN stack
- Preferred experience with WebSockets and real-time application development
- Familiarity with Git and GitFlow
- Experience with agile methodologies and practices such as Scrum, or Kanban
- Passionate about continued education in web development and related technologies
- Attention to detail from visual elements to utility
- Portfolio required
- Competitive compensation
- 401K plan
- Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Potential to work remotely
- Paid Time Off
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Free parking in downtown Durham, NC
Please send a completed application, your CV, link to portfolio, and a brief Cover Letter explaining what makes you a good fit for The Social Institute team to email@example.com with the subject line “Frontend Engineer Candidate – The Social Institute”.
The Social Institute is an equal opportunity employer and participant of the E-Verify Program.