Director of Engineering
Position Location: Durham, NC (potential remote employment)
About The Social Institute
The Social Institute partners with schools nationwide to empower students, families, and educators to positively navigate social-emotional health, social media, and technology. Schools access our student-respected, turnkey curriculum through WinAtSocial.com, an interactive, gamified learning platform. With solutions for students, parents, and educators, we offer a systemic and comprehensive student well being program through a unique and positive approach. We are proud to serve public and independent partners such as Ravenscroft School, Woodward Academy, Oldfields School, All Saints Episcopal School, Lake Forest School District, Boston Public Schools, and more.
The Director of Engineering will play a key role in leading and growing the engineering team. In this role, you will also work closely with the CTO, COO, and CEO to scope new products and features, assess opportunities to optimize existing products, and review usage data and other inputs to inform product strategy.
- Working with the CTO and COO, set the operational and organizational strategy for the engineering team based on KPIs, and drive the tracking, course-correction, and achievement of these KPIs.
- Serve as lead technical architect, technical decision-maker, and engineering lead for the platforms, tools, and services developed by the engineering team.
- Collaborate with senior leaders across The Social Institute to understand needs and provide solutions.
- Develop and implement engineering improvement processes and elevate engineering best practices.
- Integration of frontend technologies with server-side logic.
- Build scalable code and focus on user experience.
- Work closely with Co-founder/CTO to design and launch new features.
- 6+ years of engineering or engineer management experience.
- Track record of implementing and managing successful engineering projects and processes.
- Experience building, coaching, or managing high-performing engineering teams.
- Excellent understanding of Quality Assurance, Automation, and Dev processes.
- Excellent communication (Written and Oral), coordination and collaboration skills.
- Planning, Scheduling, Tracking and status reporting of deliverables and milestones.
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail and excellent problem solving/troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of software and application design and architecture.
- Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes, cloud vendors (AWS & Google).
- Demonstrated experience with agile methodologies and practices such as Scrum.
- Knowledge of code versioning tools (e.g., gitLab, sourcetree, command line)
- Writing scalable and efficient code in a fast paced agile environment.
- Portfolios are appreciated but not required.
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Competitive compensation
- 401K plan
- Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Potential to work remotely
- Paid Time Off
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Free parking in downtown Durham, NC
- Lunches & team activities for employees at the office
Please send a completed application (http://bit.ly/TSIemploymentapplication), your CV, and a brief Cover Letter explaining what makes you a good fit for The Social Institute team to email@example.com with the subject line “Director of Engineering Candidate – The Social Institute”.
The Social Institute is an equal opportunity employer and participant of the E-Verify Program.